Covered Bridges

Putnam County is the home of Covered Bridges and the Covered Bridge Festival.  Below are the nine (9) Bridges that are located in Putnam County but if you would like to view more pictures please visit our Covered Bridge Photo Gallery.

Cornstalk Covered Bridge 

Cornstalk Covered Bridge – 1917

Built by builder J.A. Britton, it is a single span bridge, 82’ long, plus an 8 overhang at each end.  It measures 16’ wide and 14’ high with a shingle roof and concrete abutments.  

The bridge gets its name from the creek it crosses, Cornstalk Creek, a tributary of Big Raccoon Creek.

Indiana #14-67-01

 Pine Bluff Covered Bridge

Pine Bluff Bridge – 1886

The builder of this Howe Truss bridge is not known.  This bridge has cut stone abutments and piles and is 16’ wide and 13’6” high with a sheet metal roof.  It crosses Big Walnut Creek.


Indiana #14-67-03
Latitude:  39-47’34”n
Long: 086-46’26”w

 Rolling Stone Covered Bridge

Rolling Stone Bridge – 1915

Build by J.A. Britton, this Burr Arch bridge crosses Big Walnut and is 103’ long, plus a 10’ overhang at each end.  

This single-span bridge is 16’ wide and 13’ high with concrete abutments and a sheet metal roof.  The bridge got is name from a large boulder in the Creek which was rolled around by the action of the water.  For the protection of the bridge, this boulder has been removed.

Indiana 14-67-04
Latitude: 39-46’29”N
Long:086-47’03”W

 Bakers Camp Covered Bridge

Baker’s Camp Bridge – 1901

Also known as Hillis Bridge it was built by J.J. Daniels and is of the Burr Arch type.  

This single-span bridge over Big Walnut Creek is 128’ long, plus a 10’ overhang at each end.  This bridge is only 14’ wide and 13’ high with cut stone abutments and a sheet metal roof.

Indiana 14-67-02
Latitude: 39-44’57”N
Long:086-46’32”W

 Edna Collings Covered Bridge

Edna Collings Bridge – 1922

The baby of all Indiana bridges, it was built by Charles Collings.  

The haunted Burr Arch bridge is over Little Walnut Creek and is 80’ long, plus an 8’ overhang at each end.  It has concrete abutments and a shingle roof and is 15’ wide and 13’6” high. 

Indiana 14-67-06
Latitude: 39-43’ 38” N
Long: 086-58’33”W

 Dunbar Covered Bridge

Dunbar Bridge – 1880

Built by the local farmers of the area ,timber was cut from the Dunbar farm.  

This Burr Arch, 2-span bridge is 174’ long, plus a 12’ overhang at each end.  It is 16’ wide and 13’6” high with cut stone abutments and piles and a shingle roof.  

At one time the name of J.J. Daniels was on the timbers in the bridge, so it is possible that he had a hand in the building of this bridge.

Indiana 14-67-07
Latitude: 39-39”31”N
Long: 086-53’01”W

 Oakalla Covered Bridge

Oakalla Bridge – 1898

Built by J.J. Daniels, it is 152’ long, plus a 15’ overhang at each end.

This single-span, Burr Arch bride with cut stone abutments and a sheet metal roof is 16’ wide and 14’ high.  The name of the bridge is derived from the former Oakalla Station on the Old Big Four Railroad.

Indiana 14-67-10
Latitude: 39-37:35”N
Long: 086-55’01”W

 Houck Covered Bridge

Houck Bridge – 1880

This Howe Truss bridge was built in 1880 by the Massillon Bridge Company.

This 2-span bridge is 210’ long, plus a 3’ overhang at each end.  The bridge is 16’ wide and 15’ high with cut stone abutments and piles with shingle roof.  The bridge got its name from the owner of the surrounding land.  

This bridge has also been referred to as the Hamrick Bridge, deriving this name from the proposed relocation of the Pennsylvania Railroad and Hamrick Station.

Indiana 14-67-11
Lat: 39-34’56”N
Long: 086-56’ 22”W

 Dick Huffman Covered Bridge

Dick Huffman Bridge – 1880

This bridge is our longest bridge being 265’ long, plus a 4’ overhang at each end.  This Howe Truss bridge was built by an unknown builder.

The 2-span bridge has cut stone abutments and piles with a sheet metal roof and is 16’ wide and 15’ high.  This bridge was known in earlier days as the Wekty Bridge name for the old Wekty Mill nearby.

Indiana 14-67-13
Lat: 39.50842
Long: 86.9596